The Hawaii State Department of Transportation, Highways Division, Oahu District’s annual construction BMP training was again a great success this year, as more than 300 contractors and State staff converged upon the Ko‘olau Ballrooms and Conference Center on November 20 for a refresher course on compliance tips, state regulations, and best practices.
After a welcome and introduction to this year’s event, themed Back to Basics: Construction Storm Water Compliance, participants broke up into various breakout sessions, featuring a great field of speakers, including:
- Richard Price, Professional Engineer with EA Engineering, Science and Technology, Inc.
- Matt Kurano, Head of Enforcement for the Hawaii State Department of Health, Clean Water Branch
- Thomas Ho, Engineer with Kiewit Building Group
- Tina Wills, Professional Engineer and Hydrologist with HydroDynamics Inc.
- Jerald Fifield, President and Principal Hydrologist with HydroDynamics Inc.
- Naomi Kuwaye, Attorney with Ashford + Wriston LLP
- Claudia Akroyd, Construction Inspector with Bowers + Kubota
Besides reinforcing the basic tenets of construction storm water, the training event provided a great opportunity to network with contractors, State personnel, regulators, and other MS4 permittees. The sharing of stories and experiences helps to improve the construction practices for all involved.
We hope participants found the sessions to be useful and informative, and we look forward to next year’s training!