The State of Hawaii Department of Transportation’s annual Protect Our Water Conference was again a great success this year, as more than 350 contractors and State staff converged upon the Kroc Center on November 16th for a half-day of training on compliance tips, state regulations, and best management practices.
After a welcome and introduction to this year’s event by Anna Fernandez, of the State of Hawaii Department of Transportation, and Jason Mehlinger, of the State of Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources, participants broke up into various breakout sessions, featuring a great field of speakers, including:
- Claudia Akroyd, Construction Inspector with Bowers + Kubota
- Lynn Bailey, Environmental Health Specialist for the State of Hawaii Department of Health, Hazard Evaluation and Emergency Response Office
- Lee Becker, Professional Engineer with EA Engineering, Science and Technology, Inc.
- Tina Evans, Professional Engineer and Hydrologist with HydroDynamics Inc.
- Dr. Jerald Fifield, President and Principal Hydrologist with HydroDynamics Inc.
- Matt Kurano, Head of Enforcement for the State of Hawaii Department of Health, Clean Water Branch
- Naomi Kuwaye, Attorney with Ashford + Wriston LLP
- Richard Price, Professional Engineer with EA Engineering, Science and Technology, Inc.
- Jamie Tanimoto, Enforcement for the State of Hawaii Department of Health, Clean Water Branch
- Randall Wakumoto, Head of the City and County of Honolulu’s Department of Facility Maintenance, Storm Water Quality Branch
Besides reinforcing the basic tenets of construction storm water, the training event provided a great opportunity to network with contractors, State personnel, regulators, and other MS4 permittees. The sharing of stories and experiences help to improve the construction practices for all involved.
We hope participants found the sessions to be useful and informative, and look forward to next year’s event!